Industrial bolting tools like torque wrenches are at work in every stage in the life of a power generation plant, from building to day-to-day maintenance to emergency repairs.
Let’s take a closer look at some applications for power generation industrial bolting tools.
- Hydraulic torque wrenches are used for bolting on the crusher’s feed platform, hosing and liners, and for bolting on compressors.
- Hydraulic torque wrenches fasten the casing bolts onto turbines
- Hydraulic torque wrenches are used on bolting casket covers, and in general plant maintenance.
- Hydraulic torque wrenches are used to tighten and loosen bolts on the turbine base.
- They are also useful for fastening the bolts on the turbine blades and gear boxes, and for removing or installing head bolts on a forming press.
In general, you’ll find torque tools at work on the following power generation applications, and the approximate level of torque required in ft/lbs:
- Boiler feed pump – 3,000 to 20,000
- Feed water pump – 6,000 to 30,000
- Gas filters – 1,000 to 4,500
- Gas compressors – 2,500 to 8,600
- Gas and other pumps – 1,200 to 6,750
- Generator end bracket – 1,000 to 3,000
- Generator rotors – 1,000 to 7,000
- Heat exchangers – 1,000 to 7,500
- High pressure pipe flanges – 1,000 to 7,500
- Reactor – 3,500 to 4,900
- Reactor heat exchangers – 7,500 to 24,000
- Rotary pump – 3,000 to 30,000
- Steam inlet lead flange – 1,000 to 2,400
- Steam press pipe flanges – 4,000 to 7,500
- Steam turbine cover – 4,000 to 20,000
- Throttle and intercept valve – 5,000 to 18,000
- Turbine (regular bolt) – 5,000 to 18,000
- Turbine (heater bolt) – 6,500 to 30,000
Hydraulic torque wrenches are useful in the power generation industry because of their precision – they have an accuracy range of plus or minus three percent – and their capacity, which can be as high as 100,000 ft/lbs.
To learn more about how these tools can help you, contact Maxpro. We have spent the last two decades developing a reputation as a trustworthy provider of hydraulic torque wrenches and other torque tools.
We’re also an ISO 17025 accredited calibration and certification laboratory, calibrating torque wrenches, torque transducers, torque multipliers and pressure gauges. Visit our website to find out how we can help you with your next industrial bolting project or calibrate your torque equipment.